Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" review



Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005)

Directed by Mike Bigelow
Writing credits Harris Goldberg Rob Schneider

Rob Schneider.... Deuce Bigalow
Eddie Griffin.... T.J. Hicks
Jeroen Krabbé.... Gaspar Voorsboch
Til Schweiger.... Heinz Hummer

My cousin and I went out to see this one. He was moving to New York and I wanted to send him on his way with a fine film to remember me by. I hope I didn't scar him too badly. He'll never come back now.

"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" is the very definition of desperately unfunny. This movie strains itself to be amusing. I wanted to like it. I really did! Generally speaking, I like stupid comedies. This movie was not even remotely funny. Stupid? Yes. Funny? No. I loved the first "Deuce Bigalow". I saw it twice in the theaters and I laughed my head off each time. This one did not work.

The first "Deuce Bigalow" had Deuce becoming a prostitute to get himself out of a financial jam. In the first flick, he dated various freaky women who couldn't land a date with anyone else. In this one, he goes to Amsterdam to help his buddy T.J. out and dates various freaky women. Sounds about the same right? The problem is that his dates are played for disgusting laughs instead of laughing at the awkwardness of Bigalow's dating skills. One of his dates has a hole in her neck. She takes a sip of wine, she has a hole in her neck…you see where this is going. Nowhere funny that's for sure.

"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" is no good. It tries too hard to be disgusting. Don't see it. It's not funny. Go rent the first movie and laugh. This one will only cause you pain.

SCORE: 1 out of 4 freaky dates

No comments: