Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2006

"Werewolves on Wheels" review

Werewolves on Wheels (1971)

Directed by Michel Levesque
Writing credits David M. Kaufman Michel Levesque

Stephen Oliver.... Adam
D.J. Anderson.... Helen
Gene Shane.... Tarot (as Duece Berry)
Billy Gray.... Pill (as William Gray)

I didn't have strong hopes for this one when I rented it. I was expecting a gang of werewolves to be riding their motorcycles at night while howling at the moon. That's reasonable right? Not too demanding? The title is "Werewolves on Wheels". I saw hairy guys driving motorcycles but they needed a lot more body fur to be considered werewolves.

This flick is a hybrid of two genres: Motorcycle Gang and Werewolf. Since this relic is from the early 70's, the motorcycle genre dominates in this mutant mix. Watching bikers brawl, curse and drink booze doesn't do it for me. That is the main appeal (?) of this movie and the werewolf angle is a gimmick that is hardly exploited. The gang does not become werewolves. One person gets cursed and the bikers drive around oblivious to it all.

I love werewolf flicks so I had to check this one out. So now I've seen it and can say with a clear conscience that it's a stinker. If you like biker flicks, you might dig it daddy-o.

SCORE: 1 out of 4 not hairy enough men on bikes

No comments: