Pages

Saturday, August 05, 2006

"Glass Trap" review

Glass Trap (2005)

Directed by Fred Olen Ray
Writing credits Lisa Morton Brett Thompson

C. Thomas Howell.... Curtis
Stella Stevens.... Joan Highsmith
Siri Baruc.... Sharon
Peter Spellos.... Howard Brunel
Martin Kove.... Corrigan

A bunch of people end up in a big skyscraper with a lot of giant ants. It's a Glass Trap. The ants are highly radioactive. This makes them cranky. They decide to attack anything that moves. The Dept. of Agriculture attempts to solve the bug problem by whipping out some SWAT team action on them. Swat? Get it? Swat the bugs? Pretty clever eh? I didn't even know the Dept of Agriculture had armed personnel. They're so secret "even the president doesn't know about them". They will attempt to kill the infestation as the people inside try to hold on and escape.

"Glass Trap" is a bad title for a pretty entertaining B-movie. I had no idea what this movie was about until I read the back of the video box. Deciding whether to rent a B-movie shouldn't have taken that long. You should know whether you want to see the movie the second you hear the title. I would have named the flick "Giant Rampaging Ants". It has a good ring to it.

Anyway, I enjoyed "Glass Trap". Saying this movie is low budget is an understatement. Rubber ants, the size of a pug dog, charge after people and I was cheering. I'm glad this flick relied more on creature effects than CGI. It was fun watching the actors get pounced on by the rubber beasties. My favorite scene had a guy alone in an elevator getting into a wrestling match with the rubber ant. The ant sneaks up on him and pounces on his back. They're clever that way. The radioactivity made them more devious and stealth-like. How else to explain how a giant ant can sneak up on somebody in a tiny elevator?

If you like creature features and low budget wackiness, you'll get into "Glass Trap". Ants attack, women scream, and blood splatters. I had a good time.

SCORE: 2 out of 4 giant ants

2 comments:

Eddie H said...

Great review, you made me laugh. I wrote a review of this movie and I was reading what others had written.

Dr. Gore said...

Thanks Biggie. Glad you liked my review.