Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2006

"Cruel Intentions" review

Cruel Intentions (1999)

Directed by Roger Kumble
Writing credits Choderlos de Laclos Roger Kumble

Sarah Michelle Gellar.... Kathryn Merteuil
Ryan Phillippe.... Sebastian Valmont
Reese Witherspoon.... Annette Hargrove
Selma Blair.... Cecile Caldwell

So the rich kids are playing their games with "Cruel Intentions". Buffy tells her stepbrother to get busy seducing the virgin girl if he wants to get naked with her. Otherwise, she gets his hot car as payment if he can't do it. She wants to see if he's cruel enough to be with her. A girl has to have standards.

I had a movie pass when this flick came out so I decided to check it out. The pass let me get in for free. I'm glad I did decide to look into this one because it has the most perfect kiss between two women ever put into a mainstream movie.

*KISS SCENE SPOILER*

Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar are in the park talking about kissing. The right way to kiss, etc. So Selma is shy and doesn't know how... (I'm sitting there clutching my soda). So then Sarah takes her giant sunglasses off and says she'll teach her. In a stroke of cinematic genius, the camera frames it so that the entire movie screen is nothing but their two heads kissing.

Filmmakers take note! THIS is how you film a kiss between women! Nothing else in frame is important! Focus on their mouths! Fantastic scene! Bravo! Encore!

SCORE: 3 out of 4 for one perfect kiss

First, you start slow.

Then you get a little closer.

Then you pull in real tight.

Linger on the lips. It's all about female lips. Always, always remember that.

4 comments:

Jack said...

Agreed one of the greatest on screen kisses, EVER. It’s got every thing, the tongues, the bit of saliva and the end, the way Salma doesn’t want to stop.

I never really cared for Sarah Michelle Gellar on Buffy, but she didn't annoy me too much. I think the brunette look helps a lot.

Dr. Gore said...

oooh. The saliva. Forgot about the saliva. Got to have some fluid. I wasn't a Gellar believer until I saw this scene.

The filmmakers were genius here. The way the camera goes into extreme close-up on their lips. Nothing in frame to distract us. Nowhere to look away. There's only lips.

Anonymous said...

I'm a gay man and I thought that kiss was hot... very well done!

Steve L. said...

In my opinion, one of the hottest scenes ever, period.