Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2006

"Run Ronnie Run" review


Run Ronnie Run (2002)

Directed by Troy Miller
Writing credits David Cross Bob Odenkirk

David Cross.... Ronnie Dobbs/Pootie T/Chow Chow
Jill Talley.... Tammy
Bob Odenkirk.... Terry Twillstein/Wolfgang Amadeus Thelonius Von Funkenmeister the XIX 3/4/Daffy Mal Yinkle Yankle

I've seen a few "Mr. Show" episodes and decided to rent this one. I had just seen a sketch the other day about people sending in videotapes of themselves complaining about the show. "I have never, ever, never ever..." and on and on until a football hits him in the groin. The other guy goes on a tirade, "Your show belongs in the gutter, with my garbage! The county made me take my garbage out of the gutter. You know what does belong in the gutter? Your show!" This struck me as hysterical since I had just received e-mails complaining about my reviews. The timing was perfect.

So it was with high hopes that I rented this one. I'm sad to report that "Run Ronnie Run" is a flat tire. I know what the problem is. It's Ronnie. He is a very unlikable character. He is an annoying, stupid hick. A very accurate portrayal of a hick, but that doesn't translate into big laughs. The show would have the two main guys morph into a lot of different characters. This flick has them stuck in one role apiece. Neither of which are that funny. Bottom line: I didn't laugh once.

Check out the "Mr. Show" show when you can. It's good stuff. I think these two guys can easily come up with a funny movie. "Run Ronnie Run" is not it. Run away.

SCORE:1.5 out of 4 Ronnies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Mr. Show fanatic...addicted since season one...but I've got to agree...Run Ronnie Run was not funny at all. Although there may have been better characters from the show to develeop a full length movie around, I don't know if any of them would have worked. I think the characters of Mr. Show are better left in the 5 min sketch comedy format.

Nobody said...

I know nothing about Mr Show. In fact, I watched this movie with zero expectations. And with that, I discovered one of the funniest comedies in history. I rank it right up there with Friday, Tropic Thunder, and Space Balls. And if you don’t get it.. we’ll, I’m so sorry for you..