Pages

Monday, February 20, 2006

"Man-Thing" review

Man-Thing (2005)

Directed by Brett Leonard

Writing credits Hans Rodionoff

Matthew Le Nevez.... Sheriff Kyle Williams
Rachael Taylor.... Teri Elizabeth Richards
Jack Thompson.... Frederic Schist


Even though I'm a big comic book fan, I never had the urge to read any "Man-Thing" comics. I was more into DC's "Swamp Thing". So I didn't know much about the Man-Thing before seeing this movie. The only thing I remember about him was his tag line: "Fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch." I found it a little odd that I didn't see any fear burning in this movie. In fact, I don't know why they even bothered using the name Man-Thing at all. "Man-Thing" is as generic as it gets. If you're looking for a run of the mill, avenging swamp monster movie, here's another one to throw onto the pile.

There's a new sheriff in town. He's here to clean up the swamp. There are evil corporate types drilling holes in the muck. This upsets the Man-Thing. Body after body disappears while the sheriff runs around looking confused. Could there be a swamp guardian doing all the killing or is it just the crazy Indian who lives in the swamp? Hmmmm…Tree branches coming out of people's mouths, bodies being ripped apart…I'd vote for the swamp monster.

"Man-Thing" is not a bad B-flick. It's got some blood, some guts, a swamp monster and a naked breast scene in the first ten minutes. So it's got a few good things going for it. But it's nothing to get too terribly excited about. They hold off on showing the Man-Thing until the last twenty minutes. The rest of the movie has the cast wondering and wandering around the swamp looking for some answers. If you'll watch anything that has a monster in a swamp, "Man-Thing" will serve you well. As for me, I still don't get the Man-Thing's appeal. There's got to be more to him than just shoving tree roots down people's throats. Or maybe there isn't and that's his appeal.

SCORE: 2 out of 4 angry Man-Things

No comments: