Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2006

"Ancient Evil 2: Guardian of the Underworld" review

Ancient Evil 2: Guardian of the Underworld (2005)

Directed by David Kann
Writing credits David Buscemi

Victoria Campbell.... Jen
Adam Lipskey.... Wheezer
Don Sandeen.... Hobo
Elza Minor.... Roland Henderson
Noel Francomano.... Oncilla

Ahh, "Ancient Evil 2". There were so many memories from the first flick. Actually, I don't remember a thing about it. I do remember that there was a mummy involved and that I hated it. Luckily for "Ancient Evil 2", I had forgotten about the first flick before I rented it. I saw a mummy creature with a jackal head on the video box cover and decided I needed to see this film. These split second decisions usually end up costing me.

So an evil babe with pigtails decides to resurrect a monster. Her crew all head out into the woods so that they can get this party started. The monster appears and starts killing people. The end. Victims, monster, woods. B-movie all the way.

Well, to spare you the pain, I must inform you that this movie is bad. Of course, there are all kinds of "bad". There's "good bad" or even "funny bad". This is "bad bad". What irritates me so much about this one? Haven't I seen countless cheap horror flicks? What's my problem? Well…

The second half of the movie is filmed in almost complete darkness. The monster is going on a rampage but I can't make out half of the action. Heads are being ripped off but since I don't have the night vision of an owl it's impossible to know for sure.

The acting was uniformly bad but I must give high (low) praise to the evil pigtail girl. Her overacting really made me cringe. Speaking of cringing, just listening to her lanky boyfriend talk about sex scared me more than the monster did.

Overall, this one needs to be avoided. While it's certainly no worse than many other B-flicks, there must be better ways to spend your time.

SCORE: 1 out of 4 bewitching babes with pigtails

No comments: