Pages

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

"The Babysitter" review

The Babysitter (2017)

Director:
Writer: 

...
...
Bee
...
Max
...
...




“The Babysitter” is a tale of a boy and his babysitter. Cole is in love with his hot babysitter (Samara Weaving). They are good friends who laugh, dance and make merry. But alas, Cole is just a boy and the babysitter wants to hang out with her satanic cult friends. After sending Cole to bed, the teens play Truth or Dare which leads to a gruesome satanic death. Cole is discovered peeping on the party and dragged downstairs. The rest of the movie has Cole running from the teens and trying to outsmart Satan’s minions. Much blood and brain matter will splatter throughout the house before the night is through.

I’ll give you three guesses as to what my favorite scene was. No, make that one guess. Actually there’s no need to guess as it would be the same scene any B-movie maniac would have loved. Or maybe it’s just me. But I couldn’t help but feel a kinship with young Cole. As he spies on his babysitter at the top of the stairs, the teens begin to play a game of Truth or Dare. Some genius dares her to kiss everyone. This leads to a prolonged kiss with the other babe of the bunch, (Bella Thorne as The Cheerleader), which is captured in slow motion to the 80’s song “I Want Candy”. Cole and I understand each other. We are both voyeurs and loving every second of it.

What I’ve described above is affectionately known in cinema as the “Male Gaze”. The Male Gaze theory tells us that images in film are there for the male, (drooling B-movie guy), to enjoy and perhaps get some sexual pleasure from merely watching, (Voyeurism or Scopophilia if you will). If you saw Megan Fox in “Transformers” fix Bumblebee’s crank shaft, you know what I’m talking about.  “The Babysitter” is a proud representative of the Male Gaze as we look longingly and achingly at every move Samara Weaving makes, (and Bella Thorne too in the aforementioned make-out scene).

This is all my way of telling you that “The Babysitter” is a fine film. I recommend it. It has everything a male gazer needs. Babysitters. Blood. Bella…The list goes on and on. This is prime Saturday night B-movie extravaganza. Oh Samara, let me gaze upon thee.



SCORE: 3 out of 4 babysitter dares
Gaze away


8 comments:

Ronald Perrone said...

Welcome back!

Dr. Gore said...

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Keep this going please, great job!

Unknown said...

Man! You're back! Now I know what movies to watch again! I haven't watched any since 2014 because of your absence. Okay, not really, but good to see your stuff again.

Dr. Gore said...

Thanks. It's been too long. I feel the need...the need for sleaze.

Steve L. said...

This has become my second favorite lesbian kissing scene of all time. The gum play at the end really puts it over the top for me. I'm surprised this scene is not more famous. It's not even posted on subreddits very often. I don't get it.

Steve L. said...

I also remember a year or two before the release, Bella Thorne was describing this scene and talking like people were going to lose their mind: "It's going to be a lot to deal with." Didn't happen. I mean, it gets mentioned/criticized in reviews, but there was no major storm. Not even on twitter. Surprising.

One of the very few times an actress hyped up a sexy scene beforehand and it actually delivered.

Steve L. said...

One last tidbit: The kiss was not in the original script.